Welcome to HR Club Philippines' Online Newsletter

This Online Newsletter is a by-product of Businessmaker Academy's Educational Program on Human Resource Management. Aside from our regular forum, we've decided to digitally deliver helpful news, insights and project ideas to help you make positive improvements in your workplace. Basically, we're here to help you help others at work.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

CAREER CHOICES

[Published in Manila Bulletin last May 2011]

At some point in time, you will be faced with major choices that will greatly impact your life. One of the critical decisions that you will have to make is your line of work. The question you will be faced is: What do you want to do with your life?

Most of us are faced with this decision at the end of our high school years when it is time to choose our major in college.

There are some very lucky people who know exactly what they want. For instance, at a very young age my brother already knew that he wanted to be an architect. He pursued it and has been highly successful in his chosen career.

Some people (like me) choose careers based on their interests and talents. They are not sure what exactly they will be when they grow up but they know in general what they like to do. So they choose careers where they can apply themselves and discover what’s in store for them in the process.

Yet, there are those who are not able to make a decision for a number of reasons. Some are simply clueless on what they want to be, some follow what’s in demand at the moment, while others are pressured into courses that their parents want for them. So they walk through a path of uncertainty and only find out later on if the career they have pursued is something they really like or not.

Now let me ask you, dear readers, how did you choose your career? Do you believe you made the right choice? Have you found satisfaction and success in your chosen career?

I recently received an email from a reader asking for advice about her choice of career. Let me share her issues with you so that we can all learn from her situation:

Dear Ms. Jhoanna,

I have been job hunting for the longest time. I have been waiting already for five years of nothing but continuous applications. Although I’d occasionally be called in for interviews, I cannot seem to land the job that I want. I get job interviews and exams, but when it is time to decide whether they are going to hire me, they would always not accept me.

See, my problem is that I graduated with a major in accounting from a prestigious school. But I dislike accounting, so my past work experiences are rather short. During interviews, I’d be asked why I had not stayed long enough with the companies that I have worked for. It is a reasonable question. But the fact is, I dislike accounting, hence the change of jobs. It would not have been the same if I graduated with a Masscom degree and I did the job I liked.

All throughout my young years, twenties and even early thirties, I disliked accounting and I wanted a job as a reporter. I sent resumes to networks but of course, there are tons who do the same. Since I’m not a MassCom graduate, how would they recognize me from the pile of resumes?

I just feel that maybe if I pursued Masscom in college, i would have a much different life than the life of unemployment that I have right now. It has been difficult. I haven’t had income since 2004 and I only rely on the Php200 allowance that I get from my Mom. I cannot overspend because my mom wouldn’t have budget for it. I know it sounds so little for someone whose got resources but the continuous rejections in jobs has amounted me to this. I really hope you could comment.

Sometimes, it is just too hard, I guess. But I believe there are solutions. I would always plan, meaning plan to get hired and they wouldn't hire me. So there comes a point when I lose hope in ever having a job again.

I was hoping you could somehow give me a suggestion as to how I could get hired by companies again. I am not as young as before. At this point, I’ll take any job. Right now, I am entertaining call center jobs and have a couple of interviews with them this week. When it comes to accounting jobs, I would always get bypassed.

Thanks, and appreciate your help.

Sincerely,
Jobseeker-reader

My Response:

Thanks for sharing your job hunting experience. All of us eventually make major decisions that greatly impact our lives. Some of those decisions will be good ones, while others may be bad. The good decisions are easy to see as it brings success and happiness while the bad ones may cause regret and frustration---BUT, the important question is this: If you make a wrong decision, does it follow that you are doomed to a life of failure and misery?

I think not. There are many roads that one can take in one's lifetime. We all have choices to make. If you take one road and feel that it's not right for you, you are not doomed. You can always turn left on the next stop, make a U-turn or go on a detour. It's not your choice of course that's holding you back, so try not to fall into the "What-If" trap. Instead, take what you can out of your learning in college and apply it in your life.

Since you have been out of work for a long time, I do suggest that you make an inventory of your skills, talents, knowledge and experience. Don’t limit yourself with your college major. HR practitioners do not just look at your educational attainment, they want to know your capabilities. Then check out all your job options whether it be freelance, part-time, full-time or even voluntary work. This will give you the chance to get reacquainted with work-life. It will put you in touch with people and open up opportunities. Making a living will boost your confidence. Whether it's your dream job or not, it doesn't matter at this point. You just need to get your feet wet again.

Stop making excuses from the past. Each day brings an opportunity to make better choices. It is time to take charge of your career!

No comments:

Post a Comment