Welcome to HR Club Philippines' Online Newsletter

This Online Newsletter is a by-product of Businessmaker Academy's Educational Program on Human Resource Management. Aside from our regular forum, we've decided to digitally deliver helpful news, insights and project ideas to help you make positive improvements in your workplace. Basically, we're here to help you help others at work.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

FINDING OJT WORK

[Published in Manila Bulletin last March 2011]

Way back in my college years, we had all sorts of programs to prepare us for work in the real world. Our university required us to participate in practicum, thesis and OJT programs. And I must say, I learned a lot from these experiences. It was a good way to hone my skills and get a taste of the work environment. I’m glad that these sorts of programs are still being done today.

Recently, I received a Facebook message from a junior college student inquiring about OJT work. Here is a shortened version of his letter:

Hi Ms. Jhoanna,

I’m already at the junior year of my collegiate studies and as we approach our senior year, we are preparing for our OJT that should take place on the first semester of the next school year. We are not that rich that’s why I’m looking for a company that could help us to be exposed and be trained on the real jobs in the industry with a program that could help us pay for our tuition and daily expenses. Whoa, I thought it was easy to find companies who offer such things but it’s hard to find an attainable OJT program. Some of our schoolmates have even gone through bad experiences wherein they are the ones who are paying the company for their OJT program and yet they do not get to learn from the job. Our university has many partnering companies for the OJT of its students but they do not have the contact details for those companies. So I looked for the contact details myself and sent emails to some but only one replied. How could we now achieve our longed OJT when the local college can’t help further?

That is why I’m writing to you to ask for recommendations and other things we should do. I am looking forward to any advice that you can extend to us. Thank you for accommodating my inquiry and GOD bless you. ---J. Augustin, La Union

WAYS AND MEANS OF FINDING OJT WORK

To J. Augustin of La Union and other college students who are seeking OJT work: Welcome to the Real World!

Finding OJT work is very similar to job-hunting for regular employment after college. Even if your university has “partner companies” for OJT programs or Career Placement Offices, you will most likely still have to search and apply for a company that has a good OJT program that pays.

As you hunt for OJT work, you will get to experience and learn job-hunting skills. Yes, not all companies offer OJT programs with allowances, but there are some who do. So do your best to find them and learn as much as you can from the process as the skills that you will learn will help you later on when you are actually looking for a job after you graduate.

So let me give you some tips on how you can find OJT work that pays:

Google It

This has become my all-time solution for finding things: Looking for something? Google it! And it definitely applies to job-hunting. There are many companies who provide OJT work opportunities in the Philippines. Some of them are multinational firms, but there are also small-medium enterprises (SMEs) who provide OJT work that gives out allowances or per diem. This is the first thing I did after reading your letter and I immediately found a website portal in the Philippines that publishes OJT work opportunities online for BPO companies and other industries.

Connections

Use your contacts. Ask your relatives, friends and teachers if they know of OJT work opportunities. Perhaps they can give you referrals. Better yet, if you know of relatives and friends who own businesses, offer them your services. When I was in college, I found part-time work from my seatmate whose family owned a manufacturing firm. After college, I immediately found work through one of my professors who worked for an entertainment firm. When it comes to jobs, just seek and you shall find.

Apply for It

Similar to job-hunting, you will have to send in your application. When doing so, observe proper email etiquette. Write an email message about the details of your OJT program and the skills that you have that the company can utilize, aside from attaching your resume. This will make you stand out among other OJT applicants who typically just attach resumes without any message at all. A few years back, I received an email from a college student who was applying for OJT work. At that time, my company was not looking for trainees nor did we even have an OJT program. But I was so impressed with the applicant’s email and skills (she had an online website resume) that convinced me that I had to have her. So I started an OJT program just so that I could get her even for a short period of time. She didn’t ask to be paid, but we gave her an allowance because she deserved it.

Ask for Recommendation Letters

A good university OJT program provides support for their students, either by matching them with companies in need of OJTs or at least providing authorization or recommendation letters. The first OJT trainee that I got attached a recommendation letter from her professor as well, so it formalized and authenticated her application. These documents are optional but they help.

It’s a Job

When applying for work, whether it’s OJT or regular employment, show the employer the skills that you have that will help their company instead of just telling them that you want the OJT program to provide you with the best learning experience. Employers are busy running the day-to-day operations of their business. Most do not have the time to train students who will only be there for a short period of time and leave after 300 hours. That is why not all employers are willing to pay for OJT work. However, if you can show them that you’ve got skills that can really help them, they may seriously consider hiring you as OJT with pay like what I did.

See, OJT work is a job. You may be in it to learn, but business people and employers pay for work and performance. So ask not what the employer can do for you, but ask what you can do for your employer. That’s how you can find OJT work that pays!

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I have learned that some students are required to pay for their OJT... Is this a valid setup ?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete