Welcome to HR Club Philippines' Online Newsletter

This Online Newsletter is a by-product of Businessmaker Academy's Educational Program on Human Resource Management. Aside from our regular forum, we've decided to digitally deliver helpful news, insights and project ideas to help you make positive improvements in your workplace. Basically, we're here to help you help others at work.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

MEDICAL CRISIS

[Published in Manila Bulletin last June 2011]

When illness strikes, it could be very devastating to any hardworking person. Medical bills can wipe out your entire savings. If your disease is contagious or debilitating, you will be asked to stop working for awhile and this means loss of income for a critical period in time. And if you are the breadwinner in your family, you can just imagine how this will impact your loved ones who depend on you.

Let me share with you the experience of one reader and the issues he is faced with during his illness...

Dear Ms. Jhoanna,

I was recently diagnosed with Pneumonia. At first, my company allowed me to take a break for a few weeks to recover. But I got hospitalized and during that time, it was discovered that I also contracted tuberculosis.

My medical bills reached Php95,000 and I did not have enough money to pay the hospital so I asked my employer if they could help. They provided financial aid as well as a salary loan, but it's not enough to cover my hospital expenses. Our HR manager then suggested that we go for termination due to prolonged illness with an option to reapply to the company when I get better. She said, this way, I can get a separation pay. I agreed to this, but they are asking me now to submit a medical report, as well as sign a quit claim before they release the money. I'm very stressed right now and I can't help but feel paranoid with all the paperwork they are letting me sign. Is this really necessary?

Honestly, I feel very depressed. I have spent years working so hard trying to save up but I'll have to spend it all to pay for my medical bills. It's so unfair! I'm sick. I can't work. I don't have money. How can hardworking people like me move up in life? What can I do to improve my situation?

From,
Kevin

My response:

I'm sorry to hear about your illness and I sincerely hope that you will get well soon. It is normal to feel emotional distress when you are physically ill, not to mention the pressure of being faced with a steep medical bill. But do know that this too will pass, so hang in there.

Based from your letter, I think your company is pretty decent as they have provided you medical assistance and salary loan. They are also willing to give you separation pay as well as give you a job when you get better, so you can at least get some relief and not worry about job opportunities for the time-being, while you are recovering.

The paperwork is necessary. Legally, if a company is terminating an employee due to prolonged illness, a medical report must be submitted and this must be issued by a duly authorized public health officer. It is also prudent for companies to document all things related to termination. Efficient HR practitioners will normally ask you to sign a salary release, clearance and quit claim form. So just read the documents properly and sign, if everything is in order.

As an optimistic person, I don't really enjoy talking about sickness, disability or even death. But I know that Illness can strike anyone regardless of race, educational attainment and economic status. So for my peace of mind, I've chosen to face these issues head on and find ways to protect me and my family from these types of crisis. I urge everyone to do the same.

To protect yourself and your family against illness-related disasters and to cushion the financial blow that comes with it, take the time and effort to...

Invest in Health

In the movie "Tanging Ina", Ms. Ai Ai says: "Ang batang masipag, paglaki... pagod," (A kid who works hard, grows up to become... tired!). Many people who work hard, do just that---work hard. In the midst of all that hard work, they forget to eat properly, to rest well and to do the right kind of exercise. So they end up working hard for money, then they get sick and lose the money they earned while working hard in the first place! It's a vicious cycle that needs to be stopped. The best way to prevent illness-related blows is to stay healthy. Eat if you have to eat. Take a break if you need to rest. Wash your hands often to avoid bacteria and viruses. If you get sick, stay home until you get better. Don't ever act like a martyr by forcing yourself to go to work when you are seriously ill or worse, contagious. Other people might catch what you have and they won't be happy about it. Learn to work smarter, not harder. You will become healthier and happier in the long-run.

Invest in Affordable Health Insurance

Honestly, today's medical costs can give you a heart-attack. Depending on the illness and treatment required, bills can run from thousands to millions. Your SSS and Philhealth membership will help a bit, so make sure your contributions are up to date. If your company provides healthcare or HMO, good for you. It will help pay for your hospitalization in case you get confined. But if your company does not provide this benefit, you can proactively research and look for an affordable plan for you and your family (or even get free healthcare if you're a Makati resident with that magic yellow card).

See, companies are not required by law to give healthcare benefits aside from SSS and Philhealth. So they are not legally bound to cover your medical costs. Employers will pay you for your day's work. They are responsible for providing good working conditions, but they are not accountable for your health. In other words, you are ultimately responsible in taking care of yourself.

Hardworking people must not just work hard, but more importantly, they should live smart. Take care of your health and finances now, because nobody else will do it for you. Stay healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment